Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Perth and Western Australia

I'm sure it seems like all I've been doing this semester is traveling, other than my school work. That is partly true. I also haven't had as much time to write about anything else. Since I didn't do that much traveling my first semester, I went into overdrive this semester with taking trips to see as much of this beautiful country as I can before I leave. It's amazing what limited time does to one's priorities. In the past, I haven't been much of a traveler, and I've seen relatively little of the U.S., but now I think I'll be motivated to do more travel at home.



Anyway, I took my last big trip in Australia last week, going to Perth, which is in the largest Australian state, Western Australia. (and now, I have been to all but one of Australia's 8 states and territories). As you can see from the map above, it is huge, occupying about a third of the Australian mainland. In its introduction to the state, my Lonely Planet guide writes, "Ever heard the expression 'bigger than Texas?' It applies here. You could fit Texas into Western Australia and still have room fro New Zealand." I guess it well known throughout the world that Texas is big and that Texans are proud of it. Well, at least we Texans can still take pride in the fact that its vastness is used as a reference to show just how big a place is.


Perth has the distinction of being the most isolated city of its size (1.38 mill) in the world. The closest of the six or so large cities in Australia would probably be Adelaide, which is 2,624 km away by road distance, though closer by plane. Geographically, it's about where Los Angeles is in the U.S., and it shares some of the features of that area: lots of sun (I think it's the sunniest city in Australia) and beautiful beaches. It has a relaxed atmosphere and a bit of sleepy feel. Riding the bus from the airport, there was a man strumming away at his guitar (he was also strumming at the bus stop), the perfect soundtrack as we wound our way past different neighborhoods and into the city.




Now, as usual, I didn't spend that much time in the city itself. Of the three days I was there, I spent two and half exploring its surrounding areas. My first full day--my favourite--I went on a four-wheel-drive tour of the unique Pinnacles Desert in the Nambung National Park, where thousands of limestone pillars rise out of the landsape.




Then--and this was the best part--we went to Lancelin, where we went four-wheel driving and sandboarding on these magnificent white sand dunes, under a brilliant full moon, watching the Western Australian sky change color as the sun set over the Indian Ocean. I've never seen anything like it (i,.e. the dunes , mainly) and could barely keep my jaw from dropping or my camera from snapping :)





It was also my first time seeing the Indian Ocean, and it seemed bluer than any other body of water I've seen. I got to actually dip my toes in it the next day when I took a ferry to Rottnest Island, southwest off the coast from Perth. Visitors aren't allowed to bring their cars on the island, so there are no traffic signals and everyone (other than shop owners) pretty much bikes around. On the island, you can also see Quokka, another Australian marsupial, this one native to southwestern Australia and Rottnest Island.



Finally, I spent half a day in Fremantle, aka "Freo", a town 30 minutes south of Perth, and at Cottesloe Beach, soaking in the sun and warmth that has almost disappeared in wintry Melbourne.


To see the rest of my pics, click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home