Friday, February 16, 2007

Another year passes...


My birthday was one week ago today. I turned 29 on 2/9--how cool is that?! (some of you have probably already heard me talk about how cool I think that is--sorry). But it's only cool in North America because here they write the date day/month, so I'd have to wait until I'm 92, when I probably won't even remember that it's my birthday at all.

My friends Preethi, Monica, and Valerie, whom I've known the longest here, threw me an amazing birthday barbeque (or "barbie"). It was probably the only time I will ever have a barbeque on my birthday since it's in the middle of winter at home, and it was a blast. (Not to rub it in, but, I've been hearing about the monster snowstorms in the U.S. these days--I've forgotten how cold that must be, given that just yesterday, it was near 100 degrees, as it will be this weekend. I hope you're all safe and surviving it all).

I was actually quite overwhelmed by the whole thing--the effort that the girls and some other friends put into making the food, organizing it all, decorating, and the people I was surrounded by. Some of them I've only met relatively recently, but as I told them, I wanted them there because something in our encounter made me feel at home with them, which is so precious to me because I'm not at home. What a blessing.

I have four and half months left here now, and I can't help but be sad when I think about leaving the wonderful friends I've made here. I so wish the world were much smaller (literally).

Anyway, to see pics from the festivities, click here.

1 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, K! The barbie looked lovely. And I like the dress and tan.
Stay out of trouble, Kjobob, and keep me posted. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home