Monday, May 07, 2007

Sydney


I finally made it to Sydney last week, after I finished my last mid-term paper. I planned the trip several weeks ago, giving myself something to look forward to. I have never been more eager to get on a plane.

When my brother visited last September, Sydney was his first stop, and he told me that if Sydney were in the U.S., he would live there. I only went for three and half days, and while I think Melbourne might be a better city for living in, I have to say that Sydney is a truly beautiful city, and I definitely wouldn't mind living there.
It's not just the Sydney Harbour, which is magnificent. The city gleams in the sun by day and is dazzling at night. The buildings give off a bright, warm glow that make the city look happy. It reminds me a lot of San Francisco.

The weather couldn't have been more perfect while I was there. It's Fall, but the temperature was in the mid-to-high-70s and sunny. I basically walked the entire city, enjoying its parks, gardens, architecture, and major icons from every angle. I toured the Opera House, walked across the Harbour Bridge, and took a few ferries on the Harbour to some places outside the city. I lucked out and was able to get student rush ticket to see the Sydney Symphony perform at the Opera House, too. Unfortunately, it was all modern classical pieces, which are not my favourite, but it was a nice way to spend the evening. To top it all off, I got to see my friend Mina, also from Teachers College. She's doing her PhD in Sydney. It's so great having friends all over the world!
The only thing that detracted a bit from Sydney's glamour and charm were the bats in the botanic gardens. Yes, there were heaps of bats hanging from the trees in gardens. It was such a strange sight and a bit scary. But I guess it makes the city that much more interesting.
To see pics, click here.

1 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger drdr said...

photo #32 in the set was beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home